Looking to fix your faulty ice maker yourself? Knowing the most common ice maker replacement parts is a good place to start. That way you’ll know what you’re looking for when diagnosing and fixing the problem. Ice makers are complex machines, so there’s a number of possible causes to your problem. If deep cleaning your refrigerator’s condenser coils and fan for debris doesn’t do the trick, chances are that you’ll need to replace at least one of the following parts:
5 Most Common Ice Maker Replacement Parts
1. The most commonly needed ice maker replacement parts involve the refrigerator defrost system. More specifically its defrost control assembly, heater, or thermostat. Symptoms of a defrost system failure include when the freezer’s temperature is too high (above 10F) and frost has accumulated on the evaporator coils. One or more of the defrost system’s parts would likely need to be replaced.
2. The water inlet valve regulates the water that the ice maker uses. When the water pressure to the valve is sufficient (at least 20 psi), but the water is not flowing to the ice maker, the inlet valve is likely failing. This failure is often caused by mineral deposits build-up in the valve, so it would need to be replaced.
3. When it’s been determined that there’s no problem with the condenser fan or water inlet valve, the ice maker assembly may need to be replaced. Individual components of the assembly aren’t usually sold separately, so you’d likely need to purchase a new ice maker assembly.
4. The ice maker module has multiple purposes. Its motor powers the ice ejector arms and also sends a signal to the water inlet valve when the icemaker tray is empty. Therefore, if the ice maker module is faulty, no ice can be created or dispensed. Before assuming it needs to be replaced, ensure that the on/off switch is “on” or its bail arm is in the down position.
5. Another common ice maker replacement part is the refrigerator’s door switch. This part turns off the ice maker when the refrigerator door is open. When the switch is failing, the ice maker’s dispenser won’t ever turn on. Replace the switch if it fails a continuity test.
Other Common Ice Maker Replacement Parts
Other replacement parts you’ll possibly need to replace include the ice maker mold thermostat, the ice maker switch, and the ice level control board. If you suspect that you need to replace any of these common ice maker replacement parts (or have any questions), don’t hesitate to contact us! We carry a wide selection of ice maker replacement parts for major brands (Whirlpool, Electrolux, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Maytag, Samsung, LG, and more).